If I Had My Life to Live Over
In honor of women's history month and in memory
of Erma Bombeck who lost her fight with cancer. IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE
OVER - by Erma Bombeck (written after she found out she was dying from
- I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the
earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
- I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it
melted in storage.
- I would have talked less and listened more.
- I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was
stained, or the sofa faded.
- I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried
much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the
- I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about
- I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
- I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer
day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
- I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.
- I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and
more while watching life.
- I would never have bought anything just because it was practical,
wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
- Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished
every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was
the only chance in life anyone ever gets to assist God in a miracle.
- When my kids kissed me impetuously,
I would never have said, "Later.
Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I
love you's." More "I'm sorry's."
- But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look
at it and really see it .. live it .and never give it back. Stop
sweating the small stuff.
- Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing
- Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do
- Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with. And what we are doing
each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally,
- We have one shot at this and then it's gone. I hope you all have
a blessed day.